Moving – Things to Think About
Moving is one of the most stressful things that a person or family can do, and forgetting or not thinking about everything you have to do can make it even more stressful.
Here is a list to help reduce stress and give you a type of road map so you feel more comfortable:
1. Take Time to do it right– give yourself enough time to accomplish all that you need to do. (could be a month, 2 or more if need be)
2. Check out the Neighbors – talk to prospective neighbors to see if the area you are moving to is your speed. How awful if after you move in that you discover that your new neighbor is a PAIN!
3. READ THE LEASE – Know the rules before signing, and ask for clarification if you don’t understand something.
4. Rent a Moving Truck or Company– They can book up if you wait to late, make sure you book well in advance to moving day, see rule # 1.
5. Get Hooked up– find out who your electric, internet, cable, phone providers are and get service turned on in time, see rule # 1.
6. Change the Locks– Make sure only you, or you & the owner have copies of the keys to your place, see rule # 1.
7. Change your Address– Start with the USPS, then make changes with credit card accounts, banks, magazine subscriptions, etc. Rule 1 comes to mind.
8. Look into Insurance– Renters insurance is so important if renting or leasing. NO ONE is responsible for protecting your property but YOU.